About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back to the Well

Air Temp:  55, warming to near 70 deg F
Sunny Skies
Water:  58 deg F, Stained (~2-3 ft visibility)

Boat:  Old Town 119
Lures Used:  Spinnerbait, T-rigged Yum grub, Rapala Shad Rap, Cotton Cordell Spot, Rebel Craw
With the success of my last excursion, I decided to fish the same river today.  Launched before sunrise and tried to catch a few on topwater.  Wasn't getting any strikes, so I quickly went to the spinnerbait and landed one in my hotspot from last trip.  Also caught this guy on the Yum grub

After being stalked by a coyote (not a joke), I decided to move on and shortly thereafter landed my personal best river largemouth at 6.5-7 lbs.  Caught this fat mamma on a rapala shad rap.  There was a rather large fish tail showing in the gullet and she was still chasing fish!

Keep switching lures to see what was hot.  Caught fish on all lures listed in the opening of this post, ~20 bass in total.  Here are a few of them. 






The bite shutdown around 10 am and I paddled back to the launch to pack it up.  Good morning on the water with awesome weather and a few really nice fish.  I think I've found one of my favorite spring holes.

-Jeff

1 comment:

Mack said...

nice catch. Glad to see you got a new thermomter. hope you put a float on it lol....mack