About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Father's Day Special

My son has been talking up the fishing lately, so we decided to head back to the pond on Father's Day to see if he could top his first trip. First order of business was to dig up some worms in the backyard.

Upon arriving, we started slow in a sunny spot with no immediate action. He quickly became antsy and was asking what I brought for food . We quickly moved to another area and he started getting nibbles on the worms right away. After a few misses, he hooked up with this nice bluegill.


He followed that up with this shellcracker. It took some talking to get him to stick his thumb in it's mouth, but he did it! After a quick photo and release, he was already talking about heading home. I encouraged him to try a shady spot around the corner as our last stop and he oblidged.


Shortly after I landed this small bass and got him to hold it for a photo.


By now (~40 min in) he had totally lost interest and was digging through my tackle box asking about all the lures. I unexpectly hooked this nice bass on a bettlespin and tried to get him to reel it in. It proved to be too much for him to handle on my light spinning reel. So he played photographer instead.


A little finger blur and a chopped head, but overall not bad for a 3 yr old. We're very thankful to have a great place to fish. Stopped for a treat on the way home. Proud papa on father's day.

No comments: