About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Farewell Tarpon Springs, FL

This post is backdated to Dec 2013. I finally got the photos from a trip I made last year with a colleague. I was lucky to get out on David's flats boat for some inshore bay fishing.

We didn't even make it out of the canal before the action started. We stopped at a nice eddy pool right off the canal on our way out to the bay and I landed a small amberjack on my first cast. We landed 20 or so before moving on to the open bay including a few David landed on his fly rod.

We buzzed around targeting islands and oyster bars in search of redfish and trout. We found both.





As the sun was setting we rolled back into the canal and starting fishing the narrow islands just off the canal hoping the jack were still around. The bite was on fire. Those jack were like piranhas! We were catching them on almost every cast, often two at a time on topwater plugs. We each caught 30 or so in 45 minutes. David even caught a few on a topwater popper using his flyrod.





It was nearly pitch black before we docked the boat and went for a bite to eat. It was a fond farewell at the end of my temporary professional stint in Tarpon Springs. Until next time Florida!

No comments: