About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Couple of Firsts Down East

Last week I was on vacation with my inlaws in Atlantic Beach, NC.  I took my canoe and made contact with some locals so I could sneak off and fish here and there. 

After my redfish experience in Sneads Ferry, I was eager to try to catch one from my canoe.  I fished Queens Creek near Swansboro, NC with Brad (a fellow NCAngler).  We were targeting redfish and flounder and I got skunked.  Brad caught one short flounder and a few trash fish.  The only thing I "caught" were a few baitfish in my cast net and a mild sunburn.  I did enjoy the area and would love to try it again in the Fall. 

Later in the week, I met up with Brad and a few other local kayak anglers and we fished the White Oak River.  I started out targeting bass and caught a few small ones.  I quickly realized the predominant fish in these waters is longnose gar.  We anchored up in an area were they were busting everywhere and I got a lesson in gar catching techniques.  After 30 min or so, I caught and landed my first gar while intentionally targeting them.  I've caught one before but it was accidental while bass fishing.  Here are a few shots of the White Oak River.  It's very scenic.




On our way back to Raleigh from the beach, I stopped at a small creek on the Neuse river with another group of locals.  Our mission was to land a bowfin.  We were successful and I caught a few nice bass along the way. 



I don't think I'll be converting to a "bowfin angler" anytime soon, but it was fun to check that species off the list.

-Jeff





2 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Good job making the most of your trip. I've heard the redfishing has sucked this year. At least for this time of year. So don't feel bad about getting skunked.

Mack said...

Very nice.....some nice fish and a nice looking river.......Mack