About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Back Again

After having a delicious fried crappie dinner with my family this week, I have to replenish my freezer stash.

I went back to the same piedmont flow where I slayed bass with Steve. However, today my quest was crappie.

I floated 2.5 miles of river tossing my jigs and bettlespin at every slack pool laydown I could find. Net result = 0 crappie. I know they're in this stretch of river, but either not where I was fishing or they didn't like what I had to offer.

I did catch 20 or so sunnies and a few bass on various lures. Water was chilly with overnight lows in the 40s over the last few days and I think the cooling trend and high-pressure kept most of the fish out of my canoe. Beautiful weather yesterday and a nice peaceful paddle with only a heron in sight.

Big bass (~3 lbs) was caught within the 1st hr trolling a clown colored shallow running suspending rapala x-rap as the wind blew me downstream and I worked the bank for crappie.



Buzzbait got one dink bass.

No comments: