About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Spreadin' the Love

It's such a joy to witness a father passing on a love for the outdoors, particularly when the child has an exceptional day. 
 
Fished Sunday with Steve and his son Nathaniel, age 9.  I arrived at daybreak and got a few hours in before they showed up. Water temp was 68 F to start.  Around 8 am I found this hawg in 6" of water on the bank with my black buzzbait. I saw the fish move as soon as my lure hit the water, ~6 lbs on the grips. Great way to start the day. I landed several small bass trolling a blue x-rap as well as a few decent crappie. 
 
 
 
Nathaniel was eager to out-do me and he scored big with 2 bass pushing 5 lbs, both caught on a jitterbug.  Here's one ... 
 
 
After noon, Steve and I both landed 5 or so each to finish out the day. I got a few on a balsa Rapala SSR 6 (silver/black, floating, shallow runner) including this guy, Steve's were on a buzzbait. 
 

Other highlights included more small bass, blow-up missed strikes from large river bass, as well as a very aggressive pickerel that slammed my swimbait like a freight train. It went airborne twice and ultimately shook the hook. 

We pulled out the canoes around 3 pm. All in all, a great day on the water. Beautiful weather and big bass. I'm pretty confident that Nathaniel will be asking for a return trip, and I'll be buying a few jitterbugs! 



No comments: