About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

2011 Smallie Trip #1

There aren't many places where you can go by yourself unassisted and easily float a few miles without having to paddle back upstream, unless you're willing to stash your boat and all your gear long enough to ride a bike or walk back to your car and then return to the get out. Well, I don't own a bike and I'm not too keen on leaving my only solo boat and best fishing gear sitting under a tree by the river until I return.

This short solo float was on a small piedmont flow where I am sure there are smallmouth. I've never caught a white bass and I've heard this section of river holds them in the spring.  I've been to this general area many times, but never fished it. Conditions were as follows:

Ambient Temp - 55-60 F, Overcast skies, Light cool wind
Water Temp - 61 F (big surprise, I was expecting low 50s)
Water Condition - ~2 ft visibility, normal flow conditions

I was expecting much warmer weather, but the cold front that came through ruined all that.  I think it also ruined the fishing.  Unfortunately I didn't land any smallies or any bass for that matter. However, this was a slow scenic float with plenty of wildlife and I'll definitely be back.

Photo of the parking area and cart setup and then the put in. I had to walk ~1 mile upstream to the put in for a 2.5 mile float back. Thankfully it was mostly downhill to the put in.



A few shots of the river

One of three monsters I caught, all on the Rapala J-9.

Shots of the get out. I had to cart the canoe back upstream about 1/4 mile to the Scout mostly uphill, but it's a fairly well established road.


I saw lots of birds, including 3 large herons, an osprey, and a pair of turkeys.  Then it was off to Charlotte Motor Speedway to see my International Harvester buds at the annual car show.  I also managed to pick up a new-to-me double bladed paddle, see that and more in my next post.



1 comment:

Mack said...

nice post. I like the shot with the scout and the canoe. Mack