About Me

My photo
Raleigh, NC
Born in Richmond, Virginia, grew up in Kernersville, North Carolina, and now reside in Raleigh. I attribute most of my fishing prowess to my father, who took me fishing often as a child. We would regularly do float trips on the James River in Virginia, which is where I learned to love canoeing and river fishing. Unfortunately, my father has passed, but he lives on through my passion for chasing fish from my canoes. I intend to pass this love for fishing and the outdoors onto my children and can't wait to share these experiences with them. I currently have 4 canoes: Customized Old Town Guide 119, Customized Mohawk 16 Royalex, Coleman Scanoe, and 12' Indian River Solo.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Good Morning at the Pond

I managed to spend my morning in my canoe at a small farm pond rumored to hold some large bass. 

I started just before daybreak with a jointed jitterbug.  I've never used a jitterbug before and this morning didn't help my confidence in it as I got no strikes. 

I love topwater action and I tried many lures this morning with only 1 topwater bass landed on a Heddon Tiny Torpedo. 

I started throwing a t-rigged plastic worm in the shallows and landed a few.  Tried other t-rigged plastics (worms & grubs) and landed a few more, nothing of substaintial size.  Also threw a rapala J-9 and a white Norman little-N crankbait and caught bass on both.  The crappie were busting at the surface all day and I caught a few of them on the Norman crankbait and crappie jigs.  They were biting my line and bobber and I think I could have worn them out on a fly rod with surface flies.  I also need the practice.  Oh well, maybe next time.

After the sun came up I started banging the bank with a weightless super fluke and landed even more bass.  Ended my morning catching a few on a weightless plastic frog (Horney Toad).  Best two bass are below, along with one of the small crappie I caught. 



It was a nice relaxing morning and I hope to fish here a few more times this year.

1 comment:

Mack said...

nice morning. looks like a big bass spot to me..................mack